How to remove Chrome Redirect virus
Chrome Redirect virus is a browser hijacker that is only compatible with Google Chrome (as you might have already guessed). Its most notable behavioral trait is redirecting users during their browsing sessions. The redirects are not harmless: the PUP (potentially unwanted program) will make sure that he pages you end up on are harmful, dangerous, and suspicious. Luckily, as soon as you remove Chrome Redirect virus, the problems will disappear.
You will only need to be more attentive in future so that similar problems would not happen. You must not keep the application on your system because this is beneficial only for its developers, but not for you. Tons of money are gained because of advertising, and they go into the creation of even more potentially unwanted applications.
Why is Chrome Redirect virus dangerous?
None of the sites that this virus redirects you to are useful. The webpages will only be suspicious and boring – that’s why their creators use the technique o redirecting you to them. What is more, the sites can also be quite dangerous, threatening to infect your computer. There are quite a lot of viruses that can attack you by going to a corrupted page. For example, adware, rogue security applications, ransomware, and all kinds of different PUPs can be downloaded onto your personal computer by simply clicking an ad that might not even seem dangerous. If the user doesn’t delete Chrome Redirect virus, all the hyperlinks in the results can become damaging. With the hijacker on your PC, clicking on links in the results will trigger the unwanted redirections. In order for this to end, you will need to uninstall Chrome Redirect virus: there are no cases where the virus just simply goes away by itself.
How did my PC get infected with Chrome Redirect virus?
In many cases, users have some responsibility for the attack of the browser hijacker. Malware specialists classify freeware bundles as one of the most common ways of getting various potentially unwanted programs. However, users can prevent the viruses from attacking rather easily. If you don’t really rush during the installation process, you will surely avoid the collision with certain PUPs. By selecting the Custom or Advanced installation mode, you will prevent troubles from happening. What is more, reading the Terms and Agreements is also very useful for cautious Internet users.
How to remove Chrome Redirect virus from my computer?
If users want to erase Chrome Redirect virus from their browser, they have to acquire an up-to-date anti-spyware and anti-malware application, which would be upgraded enough to spot all the newest infections roaming the Internet. It is also possible to implement Chrome Redirect virus removal for the user without the help of a security tool (however, this is not as reliable as doing it automatically). You can try following the instructions below the article:
Delete Chrome Redirect virus from the browser
- Simultaneously tap Alt+F.
- Navigate to Tools and press Extensions.
- Find the unwanted extension, press the trash icon and choose Remove.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Press Manage search engines
- Mark the search provider you prefer and press Make default.
- Mark the unwanted extension and click X.
Change your Proxy settings
- Press Alt+F.
- Choose Settings.
- Press Show advanced settings
- Press Change Proxy Settings
- Click Connections
- Press LAN settings.
- Uncheck the box. press OK.
Modify your Windows Host File
- Double-click on the hosts file that you can find in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc.
- Choose Notepad and press OK.
- Delete all of the lines except for “127.0.0.1 localhost” or “::1” (Windows Vista/7).
- Press File and click Save.
Reconfigure TCP/IP settings
Delete Chrome Redirect virus from Windows XP
- Go to the Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Double-click Network Connections and go to Local Area Connection.
- Choose Properties and press Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
- Choose Properties and press “Obtain an IP address automatically” and “Obtain DNS server address automatically”. Hit OK.
Terminate Chrome Redirect virus from Windows 7
- In the Start menu, navigate to Control Panel and into search box type adapter.
- Press View network connections on Network and Sharing Center.
- Right-click on the connection you prefer and press Properties.
- Select Networking tab and choose either Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6). Go to Properties.
- Press “Obtain an IP address automatically” and “Obtain DNS server address automatically”. Hit OK.
Uninstall Chrome Redirect virus from Windows Vista
- Press Start and select Control Panel.
- Navigate to Manage network connections under Network and Sharing Center.
- Choose a connection, right-click and navigate to Properties.
- Press on Networking tab and choose either Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6). Go to Properties.
- Choose “Obtain an IP address automatically” and “Obtain DNS server address automatically”. Press OK.
* SpyHunter scanner, published on this site, is intended to be used only as a detection tool. More info on SpyHunter. To use the removal functionality, you will need to purchase the full version of SpyHunter. If you wish to uninstall SpyHunter, click here.