About this threat
If AthenaSearch virus reroutes are bothering you, you may have an adware set up on your OS. You yourself installed the adware, it occurred when you were installing a free application. As ad-supported programs could infiltrate unseen and can work in the background, some users could not even spot the infection. Adware’s main intent is not to directly endanger your machine, it merely intends to expose you to as many adverts as possible. However, if it managed to redirect you to a damaging domain, a much more dangerous infection might enter your device. You should terminate AthenaSearch virus since ad-supported software will do nothing good.
How does an advertising-supported software operate
free programs is a preferred method for ad-supported programs distribution. These unwanted installations happen so often because not everyone knows freeware comes together with undesirable items. Such as adware, reroute viruses and other probably unnecessary programs (PUPs). You should refrain from selecting Default mode when installing something, as those settings fail to notify you about additional items, which permits them to set up. Opting for Advanced or Custom settings is recommended instead. You will be able to unmark everything in those settings, so opt for them. It is not complex or time-consuming to implement those settings, so you have no excuse to not opt for them.
Adverts will start disrupting you the minute the advertising-supported software sets up. Most of the popular browsers will be affected, including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. So whichever browser you prefer, you will run into advertisements everywhere, to delete them you must abolish AthenaSearch virus. Since adverts are how adware make money, expect to come across a lot of them.You might occasionally encounter adware presenting you some kind of application to download but you need to do the opposite.programs and updates should only be obtained from trustworthy websites and not random pop-ups. The files obtained will not always be safe and can actually have severe contaminations so you are advised to dodge them. The reason behind your sluggish machine and regular browser crashes could also be the adware. We strongly suggest you uninstall AthenaSearch virus because it will only bring about trouble.
How to abolish AthenaSearch virus
You may eliminate AthenaSearch virus in two ways, depending on your understanding when it comes to OSs. We recommend you to download spyware uninstallation software for AthenaSearch virus removal as that would be the easiest method. You can also erase AthenaSearch virus manually but it may be more complex ads you’d need to do everything yourself, which could take time as identifying the advertising-supported application could be hard.
Learn how to remove AthenaSearch virus from your computer
- Step 1. How to delete AthenaSearch virus from Windows?
- Step 2. How to remove AthenaSearch virus from web browsers?
- Step 3. How to reset your web browsers?
Step 1. How to delete AthenaSearch virus from Windows?
a) Remove AthenaSearch virus related application from Windows XP
- Click on Start
- Select Control Panel
- Choose Add or remove programs
- Click on AthenaSearch virus related software
- Click Remove
b) Uninstall AthenaSearch virus related program from Windows 7 and Vista
- Open Start menu
- Click on Control Panel
- Go to Uninstall a program
- Select AthenaSearch virus related application
- Click Uninstall
c) Delete AthenaSearch virus related application from Windows 8
- Press Win+C to open Charm bar
- Select Settings and open Control Panel
- Choose Uninstall a program
- Select AthenaSearch virus related program
- Click Uninstall
d) Remove AthenaSearch virus from Mac OS X system
- Select Applications from the Go menu.
- In Application, you need to find all suspicious programs, including AthenaSearch virus. Right-click on them and select Move to Trash. You can also drag them to the Trash icon on your Dock.
Step 2. How to remove AthenaSearch virus from web browsers?
a) Erase AthenaSearch virus from Internet Explorer
- Open your browser and press Alt+X
- Click on Manage add-ons
- Select Toolbars and Extensions
- Delete unwanted extensions
- Go to Search Providers
- Erase AthenaSearch virus and choose a new engine
- Press Alt+x once again and click on Internet Options
- Change your home page on the General tab
- Click OK to save made changes
b) Eliminate AthenaSearch virus from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla and click on the menu
- Select Add-ons and move to Extensions
- Choose and remove unwanted extensions
- Click on the menu again and select Options
- On the General tab replace your home page
- Go to Search tab and eliminate AthenaSearch virus
- Select your new default search provider
c) Delete AthenaSearch virus from Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome and open the menu
- Choose More Tools and go to Extensions
- Terminate unwanted browser extensions
- Move to Settings (under Extensions)
- Click Set page in the On startup section
- Replace your home page
- Go to Search section and click Manage search engines
- Terminate AthenaSearch virus and choose a new provider
d) Remove AthenaSearch virus from Edge
- Launch Microsoft Edge and select More (the three dots at the top right corner of the screen).
- Settings → Choose what to clear (located under the Clear browsing data option)
- Select everything you want to get rid of and press Clear.
- Right-click on the Start button and select Task Manager.
- Find Microsoft Edge in the Processes tab.
- Right-click on it and select Go to details.
- Look for all Microsoft Edge related entries, right-click on them and select End Task.
Step 3. How to reset your web browsers?
a) Reset Internet Explorer
- Open your browser and click on the Gear icon
- Select Internet Options
- Move to Advanced tab and click Reset
- Enable Delete personal settings
- Click Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
b) Reset Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla and open the menu
- Click on Help (the question mark)
- Choose Troubleshooting Information
- Click on the Refresh Firefox button
- Select Refresh Firefox
c) Reset Google Chrome
- Open Chrome and click on the menu
- Choose Settings and click Show advanced settings
- Click on Reset settings
- Select Reset
d) Reset Safari
- Launch Safari browser
- Click on Safari settings (top-right corner)
- Select Reset Safari...
- A dialog with pre-selected items will pop-up
- Make sure that all items you need to delete are selected
- Click on Reset
- Safari will restart automatically
* SpyHunter scanner, published on this site, is intended to be used only as a detection tool. More info on SpyHunter. To use the removal functionality, you will need to purchase the full version of SpyHunter. If you wish to uninstall SpyHunter, click here.